Okay, so my laziness has gotten the better of me. After a several week hiatus from this project, I’m finally moving forward. You will notice that this post is coming out of order, though. Over the past week, I spent some time here and there disassembling the KAOSS Pad in order to remove the touch screen. During this process, I failed to take any pics, so I’ll have to go back and recreate the procedure at a later date. Below is a sneak preview.
In the meantime, I was VERY eager to begin cutting into the guitar body, and so I went out and purchased a Dremel this past week. Also purchased was a special “routing” tip, which was completely worth the extra $8.95 on top of the main kit.
I’m sure many of you reading this are going to groan when you see that I routed the entire cavity with a tiny Dremel tip, well I don’t want to hear it. I wasn’t about to purchase a $250 plunge router so that I can use it one time. The Dremel is MUCH more versatile, and will be much more handy when it comes to the minor finishing touches of this project.
The first step was to measure out an area that would provide not only enough space to fit the touch screen, but will also provide enough overlap area for the finishing trim piece. The last thing I would want to find is that the trim piece would hang over the bottom edge, or bump up against the bridge. In the pic below, you can see where I lay out the position of the bridge (curved) piece, and then measure in the area for the touch pad.
Initially, I realized that the pad was WAY off center from the bridge, and slightly rotated, so I sanded the pencil lines off and started again. Now, after checking the measurements about three times, I was ready to go. I made a few test cuts on some scrap wood to be sure I understood how the Dremel would kick, and to properly set the cutting depth on the tool. Once this was done, I lined up the tool with a yard level as a straight line guide and made my first cut, into the body of the guitar.
Success! Now repeat three additional times to outline the cavity. Note, the depth was set to very shallow in order to get the proper shape. I found that the deeper you attempt to cut into a piece of wood, with a routing bit, the more of a chance to took that the drill would kick in an odd direction, or gouge the wood around your actual cutting area. I decided to take the safe route and would later work the cavity to make it as deep as necessary.
In this step, I cut a shallow ledge that would allow the edges of the touch pad to rest [almost] flush with the surface of the guitar body. Don’t worry about the rough edges. Remember, a trim piece will cover this, so it’s not necessary to pretty this up.
Here it is with the screen in place. Finally, the project is taking shape!
You can see from the close up that I need to do some minor cutting in order to get a better fit for the KAOSS pad, but at least the major demolition work is now done!