I finally received the last of the parts that I needed to complete the bodywork on the Telecaster guitar modification.  This is the last step of this project before paint and finish.  Well, maybe not the absolute LAST step, as I’m sure I am most likely overlooking something.

As I mentioned previously, I will be using a CAT5 interface to connect the guitar to the KAOSS Pad base unit.  I made this decision for several reasons:

  1. Cosmetically, it looks much nicer
  2. CAT5 Cable carries the voltage that I would need to power the LED lighting assembly
  3. CAT5 cable carries 8 wires, per cable.  I will need six (four to control the touch pad, and two for the hold button).
  4. CAT5 cable and parts are very inexpensive

This is the goody bag that arrived, via USPS.
I ordered a CAT5 stainless steel wall mount faceplate (also known as a “keystone jack faceplate”).  I used the cutting wheel on my Dremel to fashion a metal faceplate for the edge of the guitar.  This will ultimately be painted black.
The cutting wheel came in VERY handy.   The first thing I had to do was remove the plastic mounting from the back of the stainless steel keystone wall plate.  This won’t be needed for the project.
After nearly taking my eye out with a piece of flying plastic, I decided to use “eye protection”.  Since I don’t actually own a pair of shop glasses, my Ray Bans will have to do…
Here is the plate with the plastic mounting frame removed.
I actually had neglected to take a picture of the faceplate, completely cut.  Here, you will see the plate, about 3/4ths of the way completed.  You get the idea.  I plan on grinding the edges (again with the Dremel, the best $60 spent on this project) to get that “finished” look.  This will be painted glossy black.
In this picture, you will see some final routing that needed to be done, in order to accommodate the plastic tabs around the edge of the KAOSS Pad touch screen frame.  I just traced the tabs, and made shallow cuts (using the Dremel router), to allow the screen to sit flush with the guitar body.  This will also help to prevent the screen from shifting, during use. I plan on fabricating a plastic (or possibly metal) trim piece to hold this in place (and cover the gaps).
This is the CAT5 coupler that I will be using as the interface in the edge of the guitar.  I ended up having to slightly sand down some of the protruding tabs to get a snug fit.
The next step is to drill a pilot hole in the edge of the guitar.  This hole will act as a guide, through which I will cut a hole, large enough to accommodate the CAT5 jack.
After choosing a spot beneath the 3/4 inch standard instrument jack (ensuring that the CAT5 faceplate will not overlap the instrument jack faceplate), I drilled a hole directly into the Telecaster control cavity.
This is the end point of the hole that I drilled in the edge of the unit.  The various wires for this project will pass through this cavity.
  The above two pictures show the keystone jack, mostly installed in the body of the guitar.  Once this is completed, only a small portion will extend beyond the edge of the body.  This will be held in place by the stainless steel plate that I cut, above.  I did the majority of this work with the “routing” bit for the Dremel.
Unless I’m forgetting anything, one of the last items that I had to complete was drilling a hole that would allow the control wires to pass from the KAOSS Pad cavity, into the Telecaster control cavity.  If you drill at a moderate angle, you can manage to drill a clean hole, providing ample access.
 Next up, painting and finishing the body of the guitar!

Leave a Reply